Programs to Help You Move More
Different Types of Exercise
Different types of activity help gain different health benefits. These types can be combined for greater fitness and health.
- Increases your breathing and heart rate which improves the health of your heart, lungs and circulatory system and improves your stamina.
- Allows heart, lungs and circulatory system deliver oxygen faster and more efficiently to all parts of your body.
- Strengthens the heart because it is a muscle. As a muscle the heart gets stronger with aerobic exercise. Larger amounts of blood can be pumped with each beat. Thus fewer heart beats are required to move oxygen to all parts of the body.
- Delays or prevents many diseases associated with aging: diabetes, colon cancer, heart disease, stroke and reduces death and hospital rates.
- Examples include: hiking, stair climbing, swimming, kick boxing, dancing, cycling, brisk walking, martial arts and sports such as volleyball, basketball, and tennis.